Senior Visual Designer I Graphics & Environments
We are seeking a Senior Visual Designer | Graphics & Environments to join our Design Lab. We are looking for an individual with strong skills and passion for visual and spatial design across different media: our visual designers routinely work on projects that spread across print, product displays, environmental graphics, digital screens, and spaces.
Why join Marvin Design Lab?
Functioning as a small start-up studio within Marvin, we are here to:
● Design new-to-the-world products, services and experiences that promote helping people live better and experience Marvin in new ways.
● Fuel Marvin’s growth pipeline by constantly looking out into the world in search for what’s next in order to stay ahead and create market that doesn’t yet exist.
● Inspire a human-centered approach and lead a cultural evolution of creativity, curiosity, collaboration, experimentation and innovation at Marvin.
As part of a small studio that is still growing, this person must demonstrate a collaborative working style, great communication skills, and the ability to thrive in a non-rules-based environment of creativity and innovation while able to collaborate closely with different business functions of greater Marvin to get our design out in the world.
Once here you will:
● Reimagine how Marvin shows up in our customer’s lives and design new experiences that bring to life Marvin’s purpose of creating better living.
● Design all customer-facing touchpoints and experiences - both physical and digital - think prints, environmental graphics, spaces, digital screens, etc.
● Lead in how we visually communicate our design to internal groups.
● Be involved in all phases of the design process: proposal writing, relationship development, user research, concept development, prototyping, and design stewardship during execution.
● Work closely with the Marvin Marketing group to infuse and reflect Marvin brand in the user experience
● You’ll champion the impact of design on everyday life.
Relevant Experiences & Mindsets:
● A strong portfolio and elevated sense of design, color, and typography: you know the difference between “good” and “great” and are able to work through team dynamics and timelines to deliver excellent design
● User-centered perspective: You understand and can articulate a human-centered approach to design and be comfortable going out into the world for inspiration. You understand basic human-centered design philosophy, are comfortable with ambiguity and want to push design methodologies.
● Collaborative skills: You work best in a participatory, team-based environment. Your support and inspire teams through collaboration as well as direction, vision, and planning of all aspects of visual deliverables.
● Communication skills: You have strong verbal and visual presentation skills. You demonstrate a clear “point‐of‐view” relating to the design. You understand the value of design and brand within a business context.
● Prototyping skills: You are ready to learn from failure, embrace an iterative process and you understand that success comes sooner with trial and error. You have experience in creating both low and high-fidelity design deliverables for print and screen.
● Design chops: You should feel comfortable throughout all phases of a project, from translating verbal ideas into visual concepts, through design development and refinement, to creating production-ready artwork.
● Openness: Designers need to be flexible and open-minded, especially working in a start-up office. Successful candidates are optimistic, generative, and open to new ideas and ways of working.
● Values oriented: It is critical that we hire associates and hold them accountable to a standard of excellence demonstrated by our Purpose and Values.
Minimum Requirements & Qualifications:
● Minimum of bachelor’s degree education in Graphic Design, New Media, Architecture, Interior Design or professional equivalent.
● At least three years of experience in a design studio or creative consultancy.
● Fluency with Adobe Creative Suite, Keynote, video/audio editing software and other design tools.
● Be self-directed toward excellent work outcomes, comfort level in ambiguous, non-rules-based environments.
● Excellent discretion, demonstrating sound judgment in dealing with confidential dialogues and information.
● Ability to travel occasionally.