• Design, test, and implement custom automated and semi-automated equipment, fixtures, and jigs used on the production floor
• Generate part / assembly drawings, bill of materials, specify purchased components
• Manage equipment procurement and/or design projects from start to finish
• Generate specifications and purchasing packages for new equipment
• Create Request for Quotation/Proposal (RFQ/RFPs) that documents the design
requirements for automated equipment, delivery schedule, required documentation
and qualification for acceptance.
• Educate and train operators and maintenance personnel on equipment operation
• Troubleshoot and redesign existing equipment to improve reliability
• Research and evaluate new manufacturing equipment technologies
• Serve as a leader and/or technical resource for new product implementation projects and continuous improvement projects
• Analyze manufacturing process data to verify equipment meets the performance requirements
• Travel to machine suppliers to perform final acceptance testing and qualification including process capability (Cp/Cpk), correlation, and Gage Repeatability & Reproducibility (GR&R)
• Drive failure analysis and machine issue resolution when working with machine suppliers
• Develop facility layouts in AutoCAD and coordinate equipment moves
• BS in Mechanical Engineering or an equivalent combination of education and experience
• Experience designing and analyzing machines and mechanical components using 3D CAD software
• Knowledgeable in writing machine specifications and requirements
• Ability to solve difficult problems by applying basic scientific/engineering principles, theories and concepts
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Initiative, self-starter, works with minimal direction, adaptable, and high motivation for excellence.
• Strong interpersonal skills with ability to interface with an organization at all levels.
• Ability to work in a dynamic, fast paced environment
• Experience with new product introduction and Manufacturing Operations
• Proficient with Autodesk Inventor or similar 3D CAD software and 2D AutoCAD
• Experience with robotics, machine vision and automation integration
• Experience with Six Sigma statistical analysis, Microsoft Excel, and Minitab software
• Experience with tolerance analysis, GD&T, FMEA, FEA
• Basic understanding of automated industrial control systems (PLCs, Motor Starters, Drives ect) for overall system design and troubleshooting.
• Experience with pneumatic control systems, air cylinders and valves
• Knowledge and familiarity of window and door products a plus.
• Knowledge of Lean manufacturing principles a plus.
• Hands on woodworking and machining skills a plus.