Location: Roanoke, VA
1st shift: 8:00am - 5:00pm Pay: Based on experience
The Controls Engineer works on the CEPG Controls Team to program, research, upgrade, purchase, install and maintain all controls for the manufacturing and facility equipment throughout Marvin. Will work closely with manufacturing, maintenance, engineering, systems and facility personnel to design, implement and support the needs related to Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) and controls throughout the organization. Position is responsible for researching, analyzing and testing existing and new control systems and technologies. Responsibilities also include working closely with vendors, suppliers, engineers and project teams to facilitate the transfer of new equipment, technologies and products to the production floor; as well as, improving machine efficiency and striving to enhance current systems to meet the needs of the future. Individual must have a thorough understanding of the organizations control systems, equipment schematics, electrical standards and safety programs to provide technical support and training to maintenance and operators.
- RESEARCH/FORWARD THINKING - Assist in the research, analysis, installation and testing of automation control systems to improve machine efficiency and advance current systems to meet project and future production demands while maintaining feedback loops and end user training. Provide input to controls components/devices, software, database, graphic display and external system interface requirements while adhering to company standards and alignment with IS strategies.
- TROUBLESHOOTING/RESOLUTION/PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE - Ability and skill set to diagnose electrical, mechanical, pneumatic and programmatic problems of equipment and facilities in order to provide solutions to ensure equipment and processes are continually operational. Provide input for preventative maintenance rule sets for common recurring issues to enhance equipment and facility effectiveness. Support the Marvin companies, as applicable, to analyze current operational procedures. Identify user problems and systems needs to make improvements or resolve issues with our internal customers.
- RELATIONSHIPS - Liaison and critical resource between our vendors and new or modified equipment to ensure control panels, wiring schematics, components and general controls/electrical practices align with our General Specification and procedures. Build and maintain internal relationships across all functional departments.
- COMMUNICATION - Strong, proactive communication skills are an expectation along with the responsibility for creating a team environment while training and mentoring others to ensure we win as a team.
- SAFETY - Practice safe work procedures and comply with the provisions of the Integrity Windows and Doors Electrical and Safety Policies.
Education, Training and Experience:
Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent 4-year degree in a related field required
Three to five years related experience/training in a manufacturing facility where the candidate has led deployment and improvement of automated and semi-automated processes
Programming experience with Allen Bradley controls. Consideration given to candidates with similar experience with Siemens, GE or other industrial PLC languages.
HMI interface and design.
Ability to read, understand, apply & revise electrical & electronic schematics.
Specification and qualification of new process equipment.
Ability to use electrical test equipment and hand tools
Proficient ability to read and understand prints and schematics
Knowledge of AutoCAD Electrical and Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel, Outlook, Access)
Working knowledge of PLC and Operator Interface programming languages is required
Ability to travel to perform pre-installation verification of controlled equipment before shipment & installation.
Candidates must submit to and pass a drug screen and background check.
Marvin began as a small-town, family-owned and operated company and has transformed into a premier company in the industry. Our employees are dedicated to quality, service, innovation and enriching the spaces and places where people live and work. Our values and work ethic are forged by the communities where we’re proud to live and work.
Marvin is a progressive company that is recognized across the nation for innovation, product quality, and the highest level of customer service. We offer a clean, safe, well-lit work environment, team-oriented atmosphere, employee growth, development, and competitive wages with health, dental, 401K, and tuition reimbursement.
Marvin has always been dedicated to quality, service, innovation and enriching the spaces and places where people live and work. If you share these core beliefs and are interested in joining our team, apply today!
Equal Opportunity Employer