Job Title: Design Engineer II
Team: R&D (Research & Development)
FLSA Classification: Salaried (Exempt)
Position Summary: Role is responsible for product design activities including developing new designs and/or improving upon the performance and design of existing products. Will perform complex engineering analysis to ensure designs meet both cost and performance goals. Manage design schedules, test activities and R&D team members. Effectively communicate design progress to the project stakeholders. Show a proven track record of success on multiple complex product development and continuous improvement projects.
• Design Lead: Lead product design activities with minimal assistance from the R&D manager. This includes product development, continuous improvement and/or research projects. Develop and manage project design schedules. Ensure design activities meet project scope targets and overall project goals. Proven leadership in directing and prioritizing design activities to design team members.
• Design, Development & Test (DDT): Perform complex engineering calculations and analysis, and work with vendors to develop production part designs. Develop or review designs to ensure fit, form, and function are correct. Ensure all drawings have the correct dimensions and accurately represent design intent. Create and execute test plans to validate designs.
• Customer Service and Technical Communication: Communicate product design activities both formally and informally to key project stakeholders. Work with manufacturing engineers, materials, and marketing, sales and support, and project managers to achieve project goals.
• Product Knowledge: Demonstrate thorough knowledge of product components and designs, understanding how design relates to field performance and certification requirements.
• Will lead the work of, and mentor, up to three associates.
Education, Training and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in Engineering required; Master’s Degree (M.S.) or other advanced degree preferred
• Knowledge/experience in manufacturing processes, and window and door related experience preferred
• Working knowledge of 2D and 3D Modeling software (Inventor preferred) and Microsoft Office Suite required
• Must have an Engineering background; and have knowledge of business systems and processes
• Must be willing to positively participate and contribute in a team environment, possess self-motivation skills, be dependable and trustworthy
• Must proficiently establish key quality characteristics, tolerances, and test methods to ensure the project objectives are met; also must problem-solve, train, direct, and communicate effectively and possess proficient
organizational, interpersonal, and multi-tasking abilities and be able to work with power tools and computer equipment
• Must have a minimum of five years Engineering design and/or product development experience, and a demonstrated a track record of successful product development projects
Direct Supervisory Responsibility: No Supervisory Responsibility