Position Title: Director of Strategic Marketing and Go to Market Strategy
Location: Eagan, MN
This position is responsible for providing leadership, ideation and metric driven strategic direction for commercialization and go-to-market plans for new product launches, including development of comprehensive launch strategies, campaigns and processes that execute against business goals to effectively reach our target audiences and customer segments, enabling Marvin to deliver a best-in-class premium brand experience and product at every touchpoint. This position must ensure go-to-market strategies for product launches and marketing programs are consistently implemented across customer segments at national, regional, and local levels.
The Director of Strategic Marketing and Go to Market Strategy, is comfortable influencing direction and collaborating across the business including both upstream product development and downstream marketing initiatives in partnership with New Ventures, R&D, Marvin Design Lab, Sales and Marketing including product management, pricing, dealer/retail and segment experience teams, communications, internal agency and other functional areas within Marvin (customer service, IT, operations) to develop strategic and tactical execution plans for new product launches, programmatic and promotional marketing programs. This position is the “glue”, connecting dots, bringing a collaborative, energetic and natural ability to influence decision making through solid business judgement and communication skills.
Essential Job Functions
Planning and Strategy (60% time allocation)
• Act as the evangelist and subject matter expert on go-to-market strategy and process in support of product launches, including planning and executing core product and new ventures product launches and merger or acquisition integration.
• Act as the “glue” between upstream product development and downstream marketing activities, including online marketing, customer segmentation and acquisition strategy, product positioning, master messaging feature/benefit and communications strategy, pricing and promotion, programmatic and promotional marketing, collateral (data, dashboards), sales enablement tools, retail display strategy, PR, press, tradeshows and events, competitive and market analysis (price, promotion, place) and post-launch tracking
• Support channel segment strategy and cross-functional commercialization team, insuring tools and materials are created to support the priorities and picture of success
• Develop programmatic and promotional marketing tools and campaigns to assist our sales team and dealer base, driving brand loyalty and revenue generating programs.
• Lead complex projects from start to finish, including timeline development, identification of cross-functional dependencies, identification of key milestones and anticipation of challenges
• Utilizing passion and knowledge base around current trends in the building industry and deploy ways to address the ones that impact us most and separate Marvin from the competition
• Develop and implementation a process of go-to-market strategy and tactical execution for product launches, in collaboration with various functional areas of the broader Marvin enterprise.
• Continue to monitor and assist as the process evolves and work with the teams to pivot when needed
• Lead cross-functional planning and budgeting against strategies to ensure successful achievement of relevant metric driven launch KPI’s
• Develop annual go-to-market plan for each key product launch
• Lead and collaborate on the development of process across organizational functions as relates to New Ventures, Core and Marvin Design Lab and marketing department
• Works closely with Product Management leaders to ensure product strategies and go-to-market strategies are in alignment with measurable goals and objectives
Management and Leadership (30% time allocation)
• Develop and lead program, product marketing/commercialization team and collaborate with a cross-functional teams to drive GTM projects and programs from strategy through execution
• Drives work streams & decision making with a “general manager” mindset
• Lead with influence throughout all levels of the organization communicating project updates across the business and leadership team
• Support leadership in developing and executing against our long-term strategic plans
• Help team(s) optimize formulations and process, as well as troubleshoot when the need arises
• Develop deep partnerships with other leads to ensure staffing and prioritization of resources
• Initiate and facilitate discussions, collaboration and action plans that move work forward efficiently and at a high-quality standard
• Ensure strong relationships across team by understanding and managing expectations, engaging others and inspiring collaboration between New Ventures, Core and Marvin Design Lab and other functional areas of the business
• Work with Marvin Creative Agency to scope integrated marketing programs and campaigns in relation to GTM strategy and process. Oversee external partnerships in partnership with Marvin Creative Agency when needed
• Encourage and direct cross-functional communications and project management with key stakeholders
Drive for Results (10% time allocation)
• Responsible to analyze and report GTM KPI’s for new product performance
• Accountable for post launch product performance reviews and annual post-mortem
• Ensure effective and efficient execution of cross-functional plans
• Plan work and processes that optimize the team’s productivity
• Responsible to develop the go to market budgets and adhere to the budget tracking process
• Marvin Purpose Values Oriented: It is critical that we hire associates and hold them accountable to a standard of excellence demonstrated by our Purpose and Values.
• Resourceful: You seek out creative ways to personally execute on the projects you put into motion.
• Solutions Oriented: When presented with a problem, you actively seek to find solutions.
• Collaborative: You enjoy working as a team and demonstrate a collaborative spirit within cross-functional teams. You are comfortable leading with indirect influence. Title and authority are not as important to you as collaborating with others to reach a common goal.
• Skilled with digesting data and market research: You’re good at quickly analyzing data and user research and turning it into actionable, digestible insights.
• Bias for action: You’re someone who tends to push the pace of innovation by moving fast and testing efficiently.
• Human Centered Design: You have empathy for the customer; you seek to prototype, test, refine and scale strategies that align with Marvin business priorities.
• Influence and alignment: You actively seek to gain alignment with peers and senior leadership while demonstrating interpersonal skills that influence key decision making.
• Ability to navigate change: You understand that the only certainty in life is that change is constant, and you handle change with positivity, courageous thinking, curiosity and flexibility.
• Excellent storyteller: You’re a natural at conveying our core value proposition to the user and crafting the right motivational nudges with effective messaging. You can convey strong, clear messages to target audiences of all sizes including cross-functional teams, customers, and industry groups
• Passion for our product: You love what Marvin is about and you believe our product can make a difference. You want to make doing business with Marvin easy.
• Strategic agility and critical thinking skills combined with solid business judgment.
• Ability to develop process and implement go to market strategies through results oriented integrated marketing programs and promotions.
• Responsive, professional persona; establishing relationships through demonstrated ability to build trust.
• Ability to lead and build collaborative teams through strong coaching and mentoring skills with a strong sense of accountability.
• Conduct business with a high level of ethical standards and integrity.
• Demonstrated excellence in strategic and organizational planning, time management, and organizational skills.
• Strong drive for results through solution-oriented decision-making and customer focus.
• Ability to manage expectations of dealer customers with resourcefulness and composure.
• A “can do” solution-oriented and professional demeanor that allows you to respond strategically and thoughtfully, while meeting the demands of a fast-paced work environment
• Comfortable working in the gray when process and job scope is defined or evolves
• Patience in driving change and navigating successfully within many functional areas of the business
• Demonstrated excellence in strategic and organizational planning, time management, and organizational skills
Education / Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in related field is required; MBA or further professional education will be considered
• Minimum 10 years of experience with demonstrated achievement in leading go to market strategies and product marketing initiatives to meet goals and objectives
• Proven ability to translate and integrate business goals & consumer insights into project plans and programs
• Building products and/or related building industry experience preferred
• Efficiently work with and leverage various technology platforms to maximize effectiveness; proficient with the Microsoft Office Suite (Project, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook) and Smartsheet
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required of the employee.